Sunday, December 13, 2009

Time is of the essence..

Well, expected to get several hours of lab time done today. Unfortunately that didn't happen due to a small family emergency. So my wife is out and about, and I am at home watching my two year old son Xander. No big deal. I'm logging some time on the INE OEQ engine as well as reading some DocCD. I can't reasonably lab with a two year old loose but I can sit on the laptop and read to my hearts content - even if I have to take frequent breaks to find out the latest thing my son has gotten into.

I've also decided to spend some time troubleshooting my bandwidth issue. After running some iperf test, I found out the issue is my Linksys DD-WRT router. Furthermore, I discovered the issue is with QoS on the DD-WRT. The thing is, it seemed to work great for prioritizing all of my voice traffic. Unfortunately, all my other traffic suffered - to the rate of T-1 speeds. After some reading, there are some incompatibility issues between QoS and PPTP. Bummer. There is also issues and bug with the code I am running. The QoS was enabled for WAN only, but alas, it was working on all destinations which is why my inter-vlan traffic suffered. Sigh.

When all else fails - go with what you know right? So, I am thinking of getting a cisco 2621xm (unless someone has a better recommendation). Hopefully with that, I won't have any issues. I also want to get a 3550 as my switch. Currently, I am using the DD-WRT router trunked to an old 3500xl. It works, but not the way I want it to. Hopefully I can get these after the new year and put everything in my new server rack that is coming in. Now I am off to do some wiresharking to see if my current voice traffic is marked in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment