Thursday, September 13, 2012

More VPN and Access-Lists...

IPSec High Availability

  • You can attach a crypto map to an interface running HSRP
    • crypto map VPN redundancy HSRP1
IPSec High Availability with NAT and HSRP
  • You can create NAT availability by attaching the HSRP group name to your nat statements
    • ip nat inside source static 136.1.134.1 136.1.234.1 redundancy HSRP1
IPSec Pass-Thru Inspection on ASA
  • The ASA can inspect IPSec going through the firewall. 
    • class-map IKE
      • match port udp eq 500
    • policy-map global_policy
      • class IKE
        • inspect ipsec-pass-thru
    • service-policy global_policy global
    • show service-policy global
L2TP over IPSec between ASA and Windows
  • Create a standard isakmp policy
  • Create a wildcard isakmp key
  • Create a transform set, mode transport
  • Create dynamic crypto-map that matches udp port 1701 (l2tp) and sets transform set
  • Create crypto map, assign dynamic map and attach to interface
  • Create local pool
  • Create username/password with mschap keyword
  • Create group-policy
    • Specify ipsec and l2tp-ipsec as protocols
    • default-domain name
    • dns-server
  • Modify built-in tunnel-group DefaultRAGroup general-attributes
    • Assign local address from pool
    • default local authentication
    • apply group-policy L2TP
    • Modify built-in tunnel-group DefaultRAGroup ppp-attributes
      • Use ms-chap v2 as authentication protocol
    • Modify built-in tunnel-group DefaultRAGroup ipsec-attributes
      • Specify pre-shared-key
  • Not too different than setting up other VPNs, other than the use of the default tunnel-group. There are a lot of things to configure, so it could be easy to forget an attribute
ISAKMP Profiles
  • Can support termination of multiple VPNs through use of identities
  • Match identities and use multiple lines in crypto map (10, 20, etc).
  • I will be reading more about ISAKMP identities
Access-List Refresher
  • 33434-33464 is the UDP range for UNIX/IOS traceroute
  • ICMP pMTU requires ICMP type 3, packet too big
  • ICMP traceroute uses ICMP unreachables and time-exceeded
  • Don't forget unspecified but necessary traffic - like routing protocols!
  • I've always found it easy to draw my access-lists on paper. Draw a line down the middle, left is IN, right of the line is OUT. Now draw arrows for the direction you need to allow/block. Draw it all out and then look at your drawing - is your return traffic going to make it back?
  • Some IOS versions will not policy route multicast traffic. This is a just a side note, but I needed to reflect RIP to allow routing updates on an interface and had to policy-route so they would be caught by the access-list.

I have about 140 pages left which I should complete by next Wednesday which gives me a solid two months to finish up my studying. Hopefully I will have my full labs soon. I ordered them through my employer which takes forever. Once i've finished up with my home study, I will grab some rack time to finish up the things I could not do at home. I will then circle back through the volume 1 and touch anything that I need more practice on. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment