Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Completed IPExpert CoD...

Here are the last of my notes for the IPExpert CoD.

  • Use distribute lists out from one routing protocol to another. Use under original process.
  • BGP only accepts internal OSPF routes by default.
  • RIP redistribution requires metric or it may get 16.
  • Always filter routes when redistributing. Particularly by using distribute lists and route tagging.
  • Watch for connected routes when redistributing.
  • ip policy route-map for remote, ip local policy route-map for local.
  • You must have a multicast mapping agent when using autoRP. Assign mapping agent to hub router or behind in FR networks.
  • ip pim send-rp-announce [src inter] scope [ttl] group-list [acl] to enable autoRP
  • ip pim send-rp-disc scope [ttl] to enable mapping agent
  • ip pim autorp listener works as an override in sparse mode only operation. (when you are forbidden from using dense or sparse-dense-mode)
  • BSR is sparse mode only
  • hop-by-hop bsr messages exchanged by PIM routers.
  • ip pim bsr-candidate [interface] [hash] [priority] to enable BSR
  • ip pim rp-candidate [interface] [ttl] to enable RP w/i BSR
  • BSR elected 1st based on highest priority or IP
  • RP candidates are fed to elected BSR
  • AutoRP overrides static RP
  • ip pim rp-address [ip] [acl] override - to prefer static over autoRP
  • ip pim nbma-mode and ip pim sparse-mode on FR interfaces.
  • FR may need map agent as well as RP.
  • autoRP doesn't work in FR PtMulti.
  • ntp trusted-key required on all clients to authenticate.
  • create snmpv3 group before users
  • You need a separate pool/scope for manual DHCP bindings
  • debug ip dhcp server to determine client ID for dhcp reservation
  • dhcp bootp ignore - disasble bootp requests
  • default TC is 125ms data, 1/100 voice
  • Tc = Bc/CIR
  • BC = CIR/Tc
  • Be = (AcessRate/Tc) - Bc
  • You can queue outbound only, police in and out
  • On inside interfaces, Inbound reflect, outbound evaluate
  • When tunneling, make sure route to tunnel destination does not change to point to tunnel IP
  • To route a NAT pool, assign to loopback and advertise through IGP.
  • FE80 is link local
  • FEC0 is site local
  • FF00 is multicast
  • 0x8644 is IPv6 ethertype
Well, that is all the notes I have. There was a fantastic section on wildcard access-lists that totally makes sense to me. If you have ever seen anything about creating an access-list with the least lines possible, and the subnets are spaced all over, this is when you need to break down the subnets into bits. I won't try to recap this, but if you have any trouble with this, I highly suggest you check out Scott Morris' IPExpert CoD. He does a fantastic job. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the CoD. It's fairly comprehensive and detailed. Unfortunately, there is no hands-on with the routers which would have made the CoD three times better. I also have InternetworkExperts CoD series, but the videos are much longer and do include hands-on router sections. I don't think I need to spend so much time watching more videos on some things I'm pretty comfortable with. I need to get back to hacking IOS. If I have trouble with a particular topic, I'm going to watch that particular video in addition to reading the DocCD (which I've become pretty familiar with).

This post may seem long, but I'm pretty much cramming two days of notes into one post. Tomorrow and Friday I plan on setting up my dynamips to run Narbik's labs. Then I can begin the Soup To Nuts workbook. If I haven't said it before, the lab is all about completing your core properly in the quickest amount of time possible. If you succeed here, you can pick and choose the remaining topics to get you the 80 points. It's during this time that you can rely on the DocCD and configuration examples. It is my hope that with Narbik's training, I can tackle the core without any issues.

More to come later...

1 comment:

  1. I want to become an ipexprt and need to clear my CCIE exam. Please recommend me any CCIE bootcamp academy for my preparation.

    ReplyDelete