Friday, January 16, 2009

Finishing up Lab 1

Well, I finally finished Lab1 this morning. The final sections covered QoS, Security, system management and IP services. The one thing that really threw me for a loop was the section on RMON. I've never had to configure RMON before and I don't recall seeing it in my CCNP or CCIE study materials. Perhaps this was left over from an old CCIE Lab Framework? I'll have to double-check the current framework to be sure. In any event, it was not that hard to configure, it's just not something that I have done before!

Looking back, I would have to say that I did not expect this to be that hard. After completing the first lab, I've learned a lot. The most important thing is learning what they expect from the way they phrase the questions. Hopefully I'll pick up on this over the next couple of labs. I am curious as to how much the remaining labs differ from Lab1.

Overall, I think my dynamips setup is working well for me. Again, I did have some weird switching issues, but I'm not sure if this is dynamips fault, or the patchwork "switching" by using 3600 ethernet modules. Hopefully once I get the lab setup at my workplace in Februrary, I can get some studying time on actual Catalyst 3560 switches. I'm looking to start Lab 2 a little later this evening. Going forward, my hope is get the core setup correctly. Hopefully, I can get some of my co-workers to study with.

No comments:

Post a Comment