Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Still on Lab 1

Whew, what a day. First, my day started off with someone crashing through my lawn, due to ice on the roads. So after digging someone out of my lawn, I was able to get into Lab 1 again, albeit late. Things seem to go smoother today, but I still ran into some weird switching issues. I don't know if this is due to Dynamips, or due to "patch-work" switching by using NM-16 Ethermodules on a 3600 router. I've always done switching on switches, so this is kinda a new to me.

I can't reiterate enough that if something isn't working (and your using Dynamips and not actual switches), save and reload your "switches". After learning the hard way, this has fixed almost every one of my weird switching issues. I've never ran into issues like this using real catalyst switches.

Today's topics covered mostly routing, which I'm very familiar with. That later end of chapter 3 covered redistribution which I am very weak in as I've never had to redistribute between different routing protocols. Hopefully I can reinforce my redistribution skills through the labs. It's interesting with the way the ask questions, and the solutions I come up with. One question asked "that other hosts on a segment between two OSPF routers not intercept the OSPF traffic". My solution was authentication, but the solutions document was to use ospf host network addresses. In the real lab, is only one solution correct? Also beware, sometimes the solutions document suggests legacy way to do something that is not much simpler. For instance you can use a interface statement such as "ip ospf 1 area 0" to advertise a network (without using a network statement) instead of clumsy redistribute commands.

Another tip, always statically set your router id's within each routing process and always set these to the same address as any available static loopback address. This will save you trouble later. Also, always read the ENTIRE TASK before doing ANYTHING. I learned the hard way when I completed the first step in a particular task across all routers, only to get down to step 3 and have to re-do all that work again! Sigh!

Going through the labs is definitely taking longer than I first imagined. This is partially due to my weaknesses in some areas, partially due weird switching issues with dynamips and partially by design. After I finish a task, I immediately check the solutions document. As some one else pointed out, what is the purpose of going forward, or waiting until the end? The purpose of the practice labs is to learn and hone your skills. I'm spending about 4- 6 hours a day and I've only made it through the first lab, which is a difficulty 5. I imagine as I make it through the remaining labs, I will pick up the pace as I become more familiar with the topics at hand, and with the way the questions are asked.

I plan to take the next three months to make it through both workbooks. I don't plan on studying on the weekends, mostly so I can spend the most amount of time with my family. So 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week should take me about 2-3 months. I've also got to make time to setup our CCIE lab at work, so a few trips to D.C. every month will take time away from my studying. After I complete the first two workbooks, I plan to tear into the 3rd workbook using the lab at my workplace. Once I complete that, I plan to actually schedule the lab as I've heard you need to book your appointment several weeks/months in advance.

Once my appointment is scheduled, I want to take the Internetwork Expert mock labs. These mock labs are graded which should give me a good idea of how ready I am. I also plan to use the Cisco CCIE Lab Assessor to guage how prepared I am.

Well, that all for now. Now I've got to help my wife with dinner, play with my son, do some laundry, and clear the snow from my driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment