Saturday, January 24, 2009

My study area...

Well, I finally broke down and bought the additional items I need for my office. First on the list, was the most important, my new office chair.

I found this little beauty at Staples, with free 1 day delivery. It's not the most expensive, and probably not the nicest, but it's a good price and generally received 4/5 stars. If it lasts me even the next year through my CCIE studies, I'll be happy.

Next on the list was a graphics card and monitor. I had a couple of requirements that I knew off the bat. I wanted to switch to DVI, and I wanted a graphics card with dual DVI for my dual-monitor setup. I also wanted a monitor that was closest in size to my current monitor, a Dell 20.1" widescreen. This is where the research began.

Not only did I research for price, I had to research for compatibility. I knew of DVI and PCI-e, but I did not know the specifics of each. I've been out of the hardware game for a few years now. Several years ago I worked for a small Computer repair shop/ISP. During those days, I could tell you exactly what you need for any setup. During those days, I custom built my own PCs. Today, I just buy what meets my needs.

Yesterday, I had to research the different DVI cables (DVI-D, DVI-I, Dual-Link, Single Link, etc. ) the different PCI-e cards (PCI-e 1.0, PCI-e 1.1, PCI-e 2.0, x1 slot, x2 slot, x4 slot, x8 slot, x16 slot) and what was compatible with my system ( a Dell XPS). I found these gems on NewEgg.

Acer 20" Widescreen Monitor - This monitor was not quite the size I was looking for, but it's highly rated and was priced just right.

EVGA 1GB PCI-e 2.0 x16 Dual DVI Graphics Cards - Nothing too fancy here, but the price was right at $50 with a rebate. It also increases my graphics memory 10-fold from my current graphics card. I could have gotten by with less, but why not improve my system while I am at it?

These items should be in next week, when I plan to begin studying in my office. This post is not so much CCIE, related, but perhaps someone will find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment