Thursday, January 22, 2009

Redistribution, BGP

While attempting to finish lab 3, I came across many problems that I couldn't solve. The first was the IGP redistribution. I can setup redistribution pretty easy, but the scenario called for external routes to flow through a specific router. This involved route tagging. Ok, so no big deal - I already know redistribution is a weak point. On to BGP I said...

Aghhh. More hang-ups. The BGP section for Lab 3 was more difficult than the previous two. Lots of path adjustments, attribute adjustments, etc. It took me several hours to make it through the BGP section. I at least attempted a solution before looking at the solutions document. The good news? I'm in the ballpark and can usually create appropriate prefix-lists and route-maps. The bad news? I'm no where close to completing the problem, let alone getting it right.

After I complete Lab 3, I think I'm going to return the OECG (Official Exam Cert Guide) to re-read the redistribution and BGP sections. Following this, I need another outside source to shore up my knowledge in these areas. Perhaps some Videos or Class on demand.

I am also begining to use Cisco documentation to help me in my solutions. IE is currently offering a free class-on-demand on how to use and navigate the Cisco documentation.

InternetworkExpert Blog

I highly suggest viewing the class-on-demand. Remember, you can use official Cisco documentation during your lab, but you have to know how to use the documentation and where to find what you are looking for.

I've decided to expand my studying beyond the practice labs. I receive a daily digest from Group Study covering a range of CCIE lab topics. Reading the group study list can only help me in the endevour. I am also reading the CCIEcandidate.com blog as well as IE's Blog. My plan is to tackle the labs during the weekdays, and catch up on the reading during the evening/weekends. We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment