Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lab Core Setup

Well after 3.5 days, I've finally setup the core for my first lab, which totals 50% of your available points. I know I need to focus more on BGP path selection and IGP redistribution. Outside of that, I'm pretty familiar with all of the core topics covered. Some may have taken a little longer than needed, mostly because I did not remember some of the commands.

The workbook goes on to tell you that you can pick and choose the remaining tasks, picking the easy ones for quick sure points, and returning to the remaining tasks to tackle them. This seems very smart. Time is the enemy during your CCIE lab.

The one thing I have discovered is why I am doing these practice labs. Right now, I'm not doing the practice labs to speed up my time, I'm not doing them to get them right, I'm simply doing them to learn. After a period of time, I will have to focus on getting the tasks done right and quickly, but right now I'm just learning. It's not that I don't understand the topics at hand. I've passed the written test and posses both a CCNA and CCNP certification, but the lab is a whole separate beast. During a written test, it's pretty easy to see iBGP and know about full-meshing the peers, but during the lab, this can easily be overlooked. Plus there is no multiple choice or memorization!!

After a few hours at a less-than break-neck pace, I've decided to call it a day. I've got a headache and still have to clear my drive-way of snow. I've made it through the multicast and IPV6 portion of the lab, pretty easy stuff. I just have to remember to enable ipv6 unicast routing. Maybe later tonight, and tomorrow I plan on completing the lab. One week and only one lab complete, sounds scary. At this rate it would take five months just to make it through all the practice labs once. I'm not worried as I know things will speed up after the first few labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment